Website Smarty Scholars
2021 Smarty Scholars Summer Program
Smarty Scholars (smartyscholars.org) is a nonprofit organization that provides free college readiness and test prep services to high-need students. Our mission is to change the reality that Baltimore City students have a 7-9% chance of graduating from college by giving them scores to get into selective colleges with high graduation rates among pell grant recipients.
This summer we’re hoping to help more students than ever before. We have 120 students signed up for the program. This number represents over 10% of students who attend 4-year colleges each year from Baltimore city. Scholars in the program actually get paid through a government program called YouthWorks. This summer marks our third year. Last summer our students saw an average improvement of 180 points.
If you’re interested, please fill out this short tutor application as soon as possible:
Program Details:- Dates: June 28 to Aug 20 for a total of 8 weeks:
– Classes are virtual and will have up to 6 students.
– Each class is 90 minutes long and held twice a week on Mondays and Wednesdays ie. 1 class is 3 hours a week.
– Class hours will fall within the 9-2:30 window based on your availability.
– You have the option to take on up to 3 classes (6 1.5-hour sessions a week).
– Pay: $50 an hour
– Prep Time: Very little. Powerpoints and suggested activities to be provided.
Lessons consist of
– Reviewing practice tests they complete on Fridays
– Delivering lessons about major concepts/strategies (we have guiding ppts but you can provide your own materials)
– Group review games/activities
– tutoring for 1.5 hour at standard morning/early afternoon time MW
– a chance to work with Baltimore’s talented low-income students in a 6-on-1 virtual setting
– curriculum and tech we’ve built to work with these students effectively (digital bubble sheet and targeted practice platforms: smartybubble.com and smartyprep.com)
– a chance to transform 6 lives of students in need and change the national conversation around test prep.
Please reach out to Layla at email@example.com if you have questions or for more information.
To apply for this job please visit forms.gle.